Skip to main content

Internet vs World Wide Web

   The Internet is a vast computer network that not only allows people to access and share immense amounts of digital information but also provides communication tools to connect people around the globe. The earliest workable prototype of the Internet was developed in the late 1960s with the creation of the Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET). Unfortunately, the ARPA network crashed in 1969 after only sending the first two letters of a message to a Stanford computer from UCLA. In 1980, scientists Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf developed Transmission Control Protocol and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). The Internet was originally used to connect a single network between two computers, but with the invention of TCP/IP, it became the larger and faster system of interconnected networks that we use today. 

The World Wide Web is a way to view and share information over the Internet. The Web was originally drafted when Sir Tim Berners-Lee, a British computer scientist, wanted to solve the problem of having to log on to different computers and sometimes learn new programs to access information at a physics laboratory called CERN. In March 1989, Sir Tim used the emerging technology of hypertext, the linking of related documents by electronic connections, to lay out his first design of the Web in a report called “Information Management: A Proposal”. 

 Sir Tim’s first design of the Web

The Web was initially used to solve the information-sharing problem at CERN, but Tim realized that its potential would be intensified if anyone could use the Web anywhere and for free. Therefore, in April 1993, Sir Tim and others defended the case to CERN that would guarantee that the Web would be available on a no-charge basis, forever. The Web is now used to access large amounts of (free) information on the Internet on a daily basis.

    The Web and the Internet are not the same despite what most people might think. If the Internet was a large book-store, the Web would be a collection of books in the store. They both work together to allow people across the world to share information, collaborate, and communicate. The first web page was created by Sir Tim in 1991 and it contained information on the World Wide Web project. The web page is still up and the url is http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html. 

Works Cited

Andrews, Evan. “Who Invented the Internet?” HISTORY, 18 Dec. 2013, www.history.com/news/who-invented-the-internet. Accessed 1 Sept. 2020.

“History of the Web.” World Wide Web Foundation, 2018, webfoundation.org/about/vision/history-of-the-web/. Accessed 1 Sept. 2020.

“Hypertext | Computer Science | Britannica.” Encyclopædia Britannica, 2020, www.britannica.com/technology/hypertext. Accessed 1 Sept. 2020.

Sample, Ian. “What Is the Internet? 13 Key Questions Answered.” The Guardian, The Guardian, 22 Oct. 2018, www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/oct/22/what-is-the-internet-13-key-questions-answered. Accessed 1 Sept. 2020.

Shontell, Alyson. “FLASHBACK: This Is What The First-Ever Website Looked Like - Business Insider.” Business Insider, Business Insider, 29 June 2011, www.businessinsider.com/flashback-this-is-what-the-first-website-ever-looked-like-2011-6?IR=T#:~:text=The%20first%20web%20page%20went,%2FWWW%2FTheProject.html. Accessed 1 Sept. 2020.

“What’s Difference between The Internet and The Web ? - GeeksforGeeks.” GeeksforGeeks, 22 Sept. 2015, www.geeksforgeeks.org/whats-difference-internet-web/#:~:text=The%20Internet%20is%20a%20global,on%20top%20of%20that%20infrastructure. Accessed 1 Sept. 2020.

“Who Invented the Internet? | Britannica.” Encyclopædia Britannica, 2020, www.britannica.com/story/who-invented-the-internet. Accessed 1 Sept. 2020.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portfolio

      The final project was to make a portfolio showcasing all the projects I made during the semester. I made this portfolio using InDesign. I had initially sketched a completely different cover, but as I began working I came up with a new cover idea. The idea for the cover was inspired by the Creation of Adam by Michelangelo.  The painting of the Creation of Adam depicts an image of God stretching out his finger to give Adam a spark of life. However, in my version, I am reaching out to touch the mouse I used to make the projects this semester. I made the image using Illustrator. I then added a cloudy background to match the heavenly scene within the original artwork.      The next two pages welcome and introduce me to the reader. I used the colors within the portrait of myself to color the font on the welcome page and the two squares on the corners of my portrait. The index pages utilize the cloudy sky background and layout the sections according to the Adobe software I used.  The co

Somewhere

     The basic idea of this project was to photoshop yourself into a tv or movie scene. I decided to insert myself with the female cast of the tv show Euphoria. This is one of my favorite shows from last year because the characters are so complex and realistic. I think it's quite hard to capture teenage characters, but this show does a good job of accomplishing that. Therefore, I took a picture of myself in a red dress and added myself to the bottom right corner.      The first thing I did was mask myself out and position myself so that my elbow was leaning on the table. I then added a few adjustment layers so that I blended better into the picture. I also put a glow filter on myself to match the bright highlights found on the other people. I then added horns so that I could look like I was wearing a devil costume. I tried to blend the horns by stamping my skin around the edge of where the horn meets my skin. I then added my reflection on the table by creating a duplicate of my mas

BW to Color

Square Analogous Complementary                      I created these images using the polygonal lasso tool and masking on Photoshop. The basic idea of the project was to turn a black and white image of yourself into a colorized version. The three color themes I chose are Analogous, Complementary, and Square. The technique that made these images possible was selecting different parts of the b&w image using the lasso tool and creating a new layer with a layer mask. After creating the layer mask you can create a new layer and color the area using the colors from your color palette.      I chose the warm-toned analogous color palette because my original photo was mostly warm-toned. Therefore, I wanted to see if I could incorporate that into the image but make it more stylistic. I then decided I wanted more contrast for my next one so I chose a complementary color palette. The pink and green really stood out from each other and made my image pop. The last palette was made using square co